View Single Post
Old February 3, 2011   #8
maf
Tomatovillian™

I find the seedlings grow well enough under ordinary CFL's (2700k color temp) alone. Over here in the UK the 15W and 20W ("A" rated for efficiency) CFL's are often available for the equivalent of $0.40c each. The government or the EU is subsidising the price, I guess, to encourage people to be more energy efficient in the home. (I don't know how much the CFL's cost in the USA.) The fluorescent tubes on the other hand are probably more expensive than in the US. I simply screw a few plastic light fixings to a length of wood and run the wire along the back of the wood to the plug. The whole thing can then be attached to shelves or whatever in the same way as a tube fixture.

The point is that the seedlings do well enough under what might be called "regular" light spectrum bulbs, no need to pay extra for grow tubes or even particular color temperatures, just get whatever is cheapest where you are, as long as it it energy efficient, the plants are more responsive to the brightness of the lights rather than the exact spectrum. I've grown seedlings for two months plus this way with with no problems.
maf is offline   Reply With Quote