View Single Post
Old December 20, 2009   #8
Aussiemark
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,

They are alright fresh with some sugar, a little sour without. You can mix them with ice cream or add to salad or salad dressing.

This will be my first year with a home crop, which from 1 tree is more than a family of 4 would likely ever use.

I don't consider them as good or versatile in the kitchen as tomatoes. I think the big attraction for me was a huge amount of produce, in very little time (just over 12 months for me) and very little effort, and should produce well for another 4-7 years.

I suspect I will be doing lots of googling recipes to find ways to use all the production.

I will give an update once I have started to use them more proficiently, once the crop comes in.

Something that I find absurd is that I have seen Tamarillos for sale in Australia for $26 per kilo, in theory that means the crop on my tree is worth $706 retail price. Form a 1 cent seed, just add water.

So somebody must really like them and I figure I have not found their highest and best use yet. You do find people, now and then, that just rave about them.

I also think they are a great looking plant in the garden.

Mark
Aussiemark is offline   Reply With Quote