View Single Post
Old July 15, 2014   #30
swamper
Tomatovillian™

Development of flavors is influenced by climate. With all respect to Brokenbar, Costoluto Genovese has been mealy and flavorless when fresh here in New England. When cooked it improves as all deep red colored tomatoes do, but the flavor cant match others which are similar to San Marzano. I trust in her climate, Costoluto Genovese is superior.

Similarly, tomatillos are a vector for septoria here, agreed they taste delicious, especially the smaller pineapple types.

Minnesota Mato: is the a specific variety of heart you recommend that is bursting with flavor and deep in color? One of the best I've tried is Sochulak, but it doesn't match my favorite paste for density or flavor, fresh or cooked. These are the sauce types I'm trying this year:

manny
kosovo
santa maria
premio
margherita
Rinaldo
Rosiyiv Flamingo
L'Espagnol Lefebvres
mr fumarole
Dominick's Paste
mary's best
Piennolo de Vesuvio
ten fingers naples
vilms paste
costoluto genovese

I recall having a very good crop from San Remo years back but they all dropped from the plant when ripe, which was a little irritating, as I prefer vine ripening.

I once had an heirloom paste called Dad's Barber which was delicious fresh; I dont recall the source, nor can I locate it.
swamper is offline   Reply With Quote