View Single Post
Old April 16, 2019   #13
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
In my garden, I regularly grow Blue Lake Bush Beans. If I were to make a call on this, I think you could get enough to use as a vegetable to accompany an entrée with one other veggie with about 6 plants. To harvest 2 to 3 times a week, I would have to double that. This might continue for about 2-3 weeks.

May I suggest you do some canning. I take the beans and wash them. Then we snap them. Next, we blanch them and rinse them again. Now, they go into quart or pint jars with a teaspoon or 1/2 teaspoon of canning salt and sterile water. When we open a jar, they are put into a sauce pan and some butter and sometimes a couple strips of bacon or salt pork added. Then they are boiled for about an hour and they taste like fresh beans cooked with salt pork.

Canning is done here in a pressure canner. We've found that the jars keep for more than two years with no deterioration of quality.

Hope this helps.

Edited to add: Some years I have canned for the whole entended family - more than 200 quarts. No complaints and no problems so far after 10 years.
Please adopt me!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote