View Single Post
Old November 29, 2022   #13
strawbaleking
Tomatovillian™

Hi, Fred.

The soil stays pretty cold here even in raised beds for a long time. Sun and any kind of better night time temps doesn't even start till July. Growing this way gave me a pretty long season (for here and compared to everybody else around here) I am used to a longer season... must grow tomatoes I need tomatoes! Plus I have a large sunny patio with very little soil areas that are covered in rocks or shade. I used to have 2 acres in N. Calif this house was all could get $ get that didn't totally suck after looking for a year. 10-14 plants is max I can fit. That's ok.

I have tried so many hybrids over the years and am always disappointed with mealy texture. Not health or productivity. Pink and black heirlooms always made me happy in general with texture and flavor. Hybrids were never any earlier generally.
I did kinda like Damsel hybrid this year but it was later than Spudakee and Terhune! And less productive. I tried some older hybrids this year like Moreton but that was mealy as well. Spudakee, Terhune, Vorlon and Carbon were not mealy. But Prudens, Vorlon and Carbon were a bit bland for me. They were even in Cali as well for me. Carmello tasted good and was off the chart productive but the skin was very thick here.
And where I used to live I had fusarium so bad I had to graft. I tried straw bales but it's carried in the wind and dust dirt that I still had to graft. But holy moly those tomatoes in the bales did well in Cali compared to my raised beds. As well as winter squash. Here, its stays so cool so long trying to get the bales ready, every thing was delayed that I did plant outside the tunnel.
I did try Taiga this year but it was outside and very very late and very catfaced. I did have some of Karma series in the tunnel this year and they were pretty late and the outer flesh? was kinda firm for me. Spudakee, Vorlon, Terhune, and Prudens were early compared.
So, yup, I am texture sensitive and also need full on flavor. So I am trying to eliminate ones like that that people might describe as sweet and mild. Ping Pong ball to tennis ball size.
Amana Orange gets described as low acid sweet, it really that?
Thanks for any and all help!
Gary
strawbaleking is offline   Reply With Quote