View Single Post
Old July 24, 2018   #1
EarlyBird
Tomatovillian™

Default My Garden is Kaput

I had overcrowded my small community garden plot with six plants, but boy were they thriving! From late March to early June, my plants were the envy of the garden.

Lots of tomatoes, folks. Lots. Nearly 80 lbs harvested so far, and that's after throwing away many pounds of sun-scorched toms.

But the plants have just gradually wilted since late Spring, one branch at a time. At first I thought it was early aphid infestation and too much neem oil. But I haven't sprayed neem for a long while, and the aphids are gone, but branches continue to wilt and die.

No spots, fuzz, mildew, holes or damage to the leaves. Just endless wilting to the point that the plants are skeletal with very little canopy left. The exceptions are my two non-heirlooms, a Celebrity and a mystery cherry, but still pretty ugly.

Now even the mostly bare branches and stalks are looking a bit yellowed and withered.

Is it a virus in the soil? Reason I ask is to know:

- Should I plant tomatoes again next year, or should I give the soil a year off?

- It it safe to do the "no-till" method, of cutting the dead plants off at the base and allowing the roots to decompose in the soil? Or will that just keep the virus going?

- Finally, does it sound like a virus, or something else?

Thank you!

At least with the harvest so far I've gotten my fill of tomatoes!

Last edited by EarlyBird; July 24, 2018 at 04:19 PM.
EarlyBird is offline   Reply With Quote