View Single Post
Old July 25, 2018   #7
whistech
Tomatovillian™

Do you have a scale that will weigh in grams? Below is how I cure and smoke bacon, but I can do it only in the winter time since cold or cool smoking can only be done it the winter due to heat in the other parts of the year.

1. Weigh your pork belly in grams.
2. Weigh out 2% of the pork belly weight of kosher or pickling salt .
3. Weigh out 1% of the pork belly weight of cane sugar.
4. Weigh out 1.13 grams of Cure 1 per pound of pork belly. Note: there are 454 grams in one pound.
5. Mix the salt, sugar and Cure one together. Make sure it is thoroughly mixed.
6. Carefully sprinkle the salt sugar and cure mixture on both
sides of the pork belly evenly. Rub the mixture into the pork belly.
7. Place the pork belly in a large zip lock bag and refrigerate between 33 and 38 degrees for 14 to 21 days. IMPORTANT: turn the zip lock bag over daily and massage the pork belly through the bag.
8. When curing is complete, remove the belly from the zip lock bag and rinse off under cold water.
9. Place the pork belly on a metal rack with a pan underneath the rack and return the belly to the fridge at least 2 days to set up and dry the belly. This step can go as long as 5 days, depending on your schedule.
10. Remove the belly from the fridge and either hang or place on racks in your smoker.
11. Run your smoker at less than 110 degrees F for one hour without smoke to form a sticky surface on the pork belly that smoke will adhere to. I like to run my smoker between 60 and 90 degrees F.
12. After one hour, apply smoke and smoke for 5 to 8 hours. Remove the pork belly from the smoker and refrigerate overnight uncovered.
13. Repeat step number 12 for up to 4 times or when you like the color of your pork belly.
14. After the pork belly has been smoked to your satisfaction, leave in the fridge uncovered for at least 3 days or as long as a week to let the flavors evenly distribute and mellow.
15. Slice your pork belly as you like it. I freeze mine in about one pound increments in vacuum sealed bags.
16. Enjoy your bacon, it's better than any bacon purchased in a store.