View Single Post
Old February 24, 2019   #11
MdTNGrdner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Well, let's see if this link will help.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...AA&FORM=IQFRBA

There are pictures of several "half runner" beans in there. I can testify to the fact that most of them do not taste "vulgaris". Cooked with some salt pork, they are quite delicious.
Lol, Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by salix View Post
? Half-runners? Can anyone describe for me the growth habit of half runner beans? And are they all varieties of Phaseolus coccineus? And if so, I assume they will require growing in isolation if one wants to save seeds?

Sorry for all the questions, am more experienced in regular old bush beans and pole beans. (and Scarlet Runners, of course!)
Salix, to my limited knowledge all the "half-runner" types are P. vulgaris, and growth habit depends on the variety, but all benefit from support. So in that regard they behave more like pole beans, to me. Striped bunch gets to about 4-5' in my garden, but some like Mountaineer Half Runner and NT Half Runner will top 6-7'. It probably also depends on growing conditions and I only speak from my own experience.

Many of these types have been grown in the hills and hollers of the Appalachians for generations, and as Ted points out so eloquently, their rich, beany flavor speaks to their longevity.

If you'd like to try some PM me