View Single Post
Old August 7, 2006   #21
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

This weekend I hosted a cooking party, with an Indian/Middle Eastern theme. A local Indian restaurant we have makes killer eggplant, so I decided to attempt something similar. It must have been good, because a huge pan of it disappeared. Considering that eggplant isn't the most popular vegetable in the world, that's saying something.

I found an eggplant curry recipe that I used as a base, but improvised. (I always improvise.)

I sauteed a diced Vadalia onion with half a garlic bulb in some Canola Oil, then I added peeled, chopped eggplant, (3 of the long skinny ones), 1 cup plain yogurt, and spices. I used about 1/2 the curry powder called for, because I am not a huge fan of curry, then I added cumin, corriander (seed + leaves), fenugreek, and garam masala to taste, with a small amount of red chili powder. I also added salt to taste.

I'm the sort of person who doesn't cook strictly by recipes, I will taste it, then add a little this and that, and keep tasting it until it meets with my approval. I cooked it until it was tender. I don't like my eggplant overcooked or too mushy, but I want it tender.

It must have been good, the way everyone tore into it. I thought it was pretty good, if I do say so myself. I will probably make it again sometime, now that I know how to do it. The eggplant itself was a little bitter, but by the time I added everything to it, it wasn't much noticeable. Is there anything to do to keep it from being bitter? Anything you can soak it in, etc.? I didn't grow it, just purchased it.

EDITED TO ADD ORIGINAL RECIPE
Keep in mind that I changed it to suit myself.

INGREDIENTS
1 large eggplant (I used 3 Asian eggplants)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 tomato, diced
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 fresh jalapeno chile pepper, finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
Place eggplant on a medium baking sheet. Bake 20 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until tender. Remove from heat, cool, peel, and chop.
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Mix in cumin seeds and onion. Cook and stir until onion is tender.
Mix ginger garlic paste, curry powder, and tomato into the saucepan, and cook about 1 minute. Stir in yogurt. Mix in eggplant and jalapeno pepper, and season with salt. Cover, and cook 10 minutes over high heat. Remove cover, reduce heat to low, and continue cooking about 5 minutes. Garnish with cilantro to serve.