View Single Post
Old October 9, 2015   #13
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Wouldn't surprise me as we're remembering a lot of the same junk food. But there are "regional" or "national" stuff that wasn't available outside of certain countries too.

For instance when I was living in the UK I'd be jonesing or Coffee Crisp chocolate bars. Same company over there....but they carried something called Toffee Crisp which was totally different so they didn't carry Coffee Crisp in the UK. Nor did they carry Toffee Crisp in Canada. Not sure they had Coffee Crisp in the US either. Sadly now I can't eat them, or I'll pay for it later.

Mum gave up on making popcorn balls by the time the 4th or 5th kid came....too much work. Besides it wasn't just our kids....we'd share with the neighbourhood. All the kids in the neighbourhood knew that you could find popcicles in bulk at our house in the summers...hell, all year round since my Dad loved them, and bought them by the carton....and usually 2 or 3 at a time. God forbid you took the last one! Best to leave that for Dad. LOL I can remember when he'd give us a $2 bill and we'd walk up to the store and come back with 2 cartons of 20 popcicles each....a mix of flavours.

My Mum's Mum used to make hers like crackerjacks...with peanuts mixed into the popcorn. From what I gather she used to make it in huge quantity and sell the popcorn balls in her corner store in Hamilton, ON....especially around Hallowe'en.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
There is a fine line between genius and crazy.
I like to use that line as a jump rope.

~Anonymous (but I totally agree with this! LOL)

Forgive and Forget? I'm neither Jesus or nor do I have Alzheimers.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote