Thread: Decision Time
View Single Post
Old August 19, 2006   #1
Kenyadenola
Tomatovillian™

Default Decision Time

I hate to post this, but I really do need help, and my husband is of little use when it comes to this. I don't usually do a fall crop, but I was somewhat dissapointed with my summer ccrop this year, so I decided to give it a shot, the only problem is, I have never grown any of these toms and I since I had 35 this summer I would really like to be nice to my husband and plant only a few for fall. So far my choices are:

Enormous Plum - Non-negotiable, I have to have some sort of paste in there, and I already have Opalka and Polish Linguisa growing for the fall, and I decided i had to try this one just once, and rather than give it a summer spot I would rather try it an the fall, summer is for the "Stars".

Caramello
Anna Russian
Sunset's Red Horizon or Rostova - I know the whole backstory on the name of this one, but the description of the fruit is what got me.
Persimmon
Dagma's Perfection
Mariannas Peace

I am in California, zone 9 or Sunset 14-15, and my first killing frost doesn't usually arrive till around Christmas, so all of thses should have time to make it.

I'm looking for quantity and taste, what ever doesn't get eaten raw will be turned into sauce. The yellows are because I have this interest in making a yellow sauce, but they are also easy to take of the list if they don't pass muster.

If you have time, please give me your opinions, I'm looking to go with a maximum of four plants or if there are any of those varities that have a great taste and are good bearers I will stop at two, maybe three. I just don't want to waste my time growing so-so tomatoes since they took up so much of my summer. I know opinions will vary so I will go with a concensus.

If you are willing to take the challenge, I thank you greatly, I can make decisions about other things, but when it comes to tomatoes, it's so hard. It was easy this summer, I grew everything that caughht my eye, if only fall would allow me the same luxury!!

Thank you so much!!
Kenya
Kenyadenola is offline   Reply With Quote