View Single Post
Old July 4, 2018   #45
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

bumbles per umbel....now we're talking. lol. I think I left one on apurpose, then saw it later when I was out working, and broke it off. Next year I'll leave a whole row on. I'll have to be a bigger idiot next year to think I missed a whole row...

I have some garlic from last year still, smallest of the small by now, and some of them started sprouting in spring, but were still using them. They are in a paper bag at the top of the stairs to the cellar. Small and sprouting, but good enough, and I just used some for venison steak sandwich recipe. Point being, I don't know if a pic of them would help for ID.

That all said, I did go ahead and pull them. I went and put in my last eight homeless okra in there as a placeholder until Nov. I'm glad I did pull them because it just poured a sheet for about 5 minutes.

Maybe 50% were about that 2" or a little bigger, with maybe 25% that were only around 1.5". Pretty good I think for the first corral. I think it was 12 rows of 9. So 108. The bed is ~5x8.5 iirc. One of the cloves I planted must have actually been two stuck together, as it produced two smaller bulbs in one spot. Two of the 108 have broken wrappers. I'll take a pic of them to count bulbs and shape, hopefully tonight.

Some of the 1/4" to 3/8" bulbils I planted in the last row produced rounds that range from about 1" down to 1/2". Some of the 1/2 to 3/4" rounds I planted produced smaller cloves. Most of both, however, I did not recover. I have definitely think that space is better used for another row of garlic from big cloves. It would only cost one or two more bulbs to gain nine big bulbs.

How many cloves?
These have about 8 big cloves that I can feel without opening them. The walking stuff was alway varied by size, but always a lot of bulbs. I've always thought they had a pretty good point to them at the top.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote