View Single Post
Old July 27, 2008   #3
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Had a great time on Sat.
Thanks to Craig, Lee, Patrina, Sue, Jerry, Craig's daughters and others who's names I've forgotten. Great to put faces to the names and meet you guys. Even though I stayed a few hours, (3 1/2), I enjoyed it and won't miss another.
Great site too. Nice people, gardens, and plenty of shade!!

As far as the toms went:
Favorite Dwarves -
1 - Summertime Gold. Great refreshing tomato. Really awakened your taste buds. Not your typical deep taste but 'bright' in taste and color. If that makes any sense.
2 - Tasmaninan Chocolate - Thanks for bringing it Lee. For one you thought you were going to leave home, it was a hit! Darker flavor with great color.
3 - Perth Pride - Most at the table agreed that this was one of the better ones there.
4, 5 - Dinky and Muddy - Two similar looking and tasting toms that I went back for seconds, thirds, forths .....Not the biggest but made up for it in flavor. Love to see the how much fruit comes off the plants.
5b - Grumpy F4 - I know I grew and brought this one but I don't think I'm being bias but it's one that will be grown again in my garden next yeat for sure. Even balance of meat and gel, great dark orange color with a smooth taste. Glad I tried it.

Reg. tomatoes
1 - Shannon's. Bold taste that alot of people loved. Wish I had brought more. Aaaargh!! Beutiful bright red color with a taste that explodes in your mouth. Does not hold flavor back.
2 - Cuostralee. This is my 'Must grow' for next year. This is one of your plain tomato sandwiches tomato. I wouldn't want to mask the flavor with alot of spices or meats. To me, this one needs to be eaten plain. Great solid flavor that lingers. 'Classic' tomato taste that was tough to beat. Nothing shy about it but a very strong, soft in your mouth taste. Not mealy or weak.
3 - Purple Russian - Great balance of deep flavor. Second 'must grow' for next year. Very pretty color.
4 - Heatherington Pink - One of those that caught my eye as well as taste buds. I'm going to look into this one for sure.
5 - Mexico Midgit - How can something so small have sooooo much flavor. About the size of a pea but each one had great tomato taste. I'll look into this one too. Great for the kiddles.

One's that stood out but..
Sun Sugar - The MOST 'burst of flavor' tomato there BUT I think I could only eat a few at a time as they were too sweet for my buds! Little liquid balls of sugar. Each packet of seeds should come with a free dental check-up!!
Cossack Pineapple Crawling Tomatillo - Did I get that right? Little tiny burst of pineapple. I kid you not! Unbelieveable fruity flavor with a flavor I couldn't describe that seemed to 'chase' the pineapple. Novelty or not, I think I have to try this one. No doubt will impress people. My third 'Must grow'

Thanks again Ladies and Gents, and will see you there next year.

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote