Thread: Pellet Smokers.
View Single Post
Old June 28, 2016   #8
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Worth! I'm thinking you are of German descent right? Shouldn't you be out there finding old discarded 500 gallon propane tanks and making your own offset smokers to smoke with seasoned post oak wood only?

I have had a Traeger from Costco for 2 summers. I've been very pleased. It holds a temperature without feeding it chunks of wood, messing with dampers, etc. - HUGE for me!

I've been able to get some very good briskets smoked, but, I'm still honing that skill, which I believe to be the biggest challenge out there. Sure, they are good just about any time you smoke a brisket, but, what can be accomplished, as demonstrated by the state's top pit masters, is a sublime meat experience that tops all other red meat, in my opinion. I know these pellet smokers are capable of producing top quality briskets as I have a friend who has one a descent sized competition (Marshall, Texas) using one and then went on to finish in the top 15 in a national competition. I'm not in his league either!

I highly recommend investing in a IDevices thermometer. They come in sets of 2 probes or 4 and hook into an electronic reader that sits next to your smoker and sends bluetooth info to their app on your iphone. If you've babied a brisket over night, you know having multiple sets of current temps on your phone at your bedside is superior to going outside to have a look. Good luck.

Dewayne Mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote