View Single Post
Old July 28, 2012   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solanum315 View Post
Was parentage ever established? I am guessing Speckled Roman was one? The BER tendency attributed to this variety suggests this among other factors such as shape, color and habit.
http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...sady%27s_Folly

As I said above I trialed Casady's Folly for Tom way back in the early 90's and Striped Roman/Speckled Roman, found by John Swenson, an SSE member ( he changed the original name from Striped to Speckled, wasn't released by him until 1997.

So Striped/Speckled Roman could not have been a parent of Casady's Folly. Almost all paste types that I've grown, and Casady's is one of them, are more susceptible to BER as well as to Early Blight (A. solani)

Tom had asked me not to share seeds of it, I kept that promise and it was he who then started sharing seeds with others and then Amy Goldman first listed it in the SSE YEarbook only in 2010.

Back in the early 90's when I first grew it it certain was a novelty at the time as to shape and coloration, and the link above tells you that Tom's Banana Legs was one of the parents.