View Single Post
Old July 21, 2013   #7
DuckCreekFarms
Tomatovillian™

Most of the Purple fleshed varieties have drier flesh and not very sweet. But the Molokai will produce under shorter season and is very dark purple. Also the Purple delight will do good under shorter season. I sent both Molokai and Purple Delight to Glenn a couple of years ago so he will have them as do I. The Okinawa Purple is very popular, but take a very long hot growing season.... Dingess Purple flesh is a newer variety which is very similar to Purple delight, another new one is called Dingess Pink and Purple which has a light pink skin and kind of a cream and purple mixed flesh. It tasted very sweet raw but haven't tried it cooked. I sent it to Glenn and he will have it next year as will I baring a crop failure.

I have been working on a breeding program for purple flesh with better flavor or at least better to me... I Currently have about 225 seedlings with a purple flesh variety as one of the parents planted out, so hopefully I will get some nice seedlings to work with...... I have lots of seedlings coming from Okinawa Purple that I am hoping to get one that will produce under shorter season. Also the Okinawa produce it's roots a long way from the main plant....so one that produced right under the plant would be nice..

there are so many great orange flesh varieties. A new to me variety from last season was New Jersey Red, which had excellent production. I also liked Red Jewel or Scarlet.....The variety Dianne is getting very popular and I get lots of good comments on it....

I currently have around 300 varieties of sweetpotatoes in my collection

Korean Purple is white flesh with Purple skin

duckcreekfarms.com

Last edited by DuckCreekFarms; July 21, 2013 at 07:17 PM. Reason: spelling
DuckCreekFarms is offline   Reply With Quote