Thread: Hold the Mayo!
View Single Post
Old June 28, 2016   #46
fonseca
Tomatovillian™

I make mayo using olive oil and lemon juice. It's quick and simple, and store-bought doesn't even compare. I don't use it on everything, but it is great in potato salad. I add rosemary and roasted garlic. Use just enough mayo to bind the ingredients. I sometimes sprinkle on some bacon, pancetta, or dry-cured Spanish chorizo.

The EVOO mayo is what makes it. That said, I have also made potato salad with straight up olive oil, which is the traditional Italian method, but quite different from typical American potato salad. Lots of recipes online.

I also like to make a potato salad with sour cream, which is what I am usually requested to make when I have to bring a dish. Load it up with chives or green onion instead of rosemary.

I've tried greek yogurt, which I often use as a sour cream substitute for Mexican dishes, but it's not my favorite in a potato salad.

I wonder how many people that don't care for mayo have tried home-made? I personally avoid any products that include unhealthy canola and soybean oils, which rules out a lot of commercial dressings.

Last edited by fonseca; June 28, 2016 at 02:18 AM.
fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote