View Single Post
Old June 19, 2010   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fert1 View Post
I was just curious if the cherry/currant Coyote is considered a "white" tomato. They are pale enough I would think they would qualify. Anyone know?
Holly, Craig has answered you and he's the one who introduced Coyote to others, but I just wanted to say that even those varieties that have white as part of the name, or otherwise said to be white, are not absolutely white tomatoes.

how "white" a variety might be is dependent on the variety itself, the degree of foliage cover and the degree of UV. Most are ivory to a pale yellow to a deeper yellow.

For me the whitest and best tasting one, many I find bland, is the variety White Queen. That's of the large fruited ones.

Of the cherries many like Snowwhite, bred by Joe Bratka and his other white ones not as good perhaps, of Super Snowwhite, Rabbit, ghost, and then there's Mirabelle Blanche and also the variety Dr. Carolyn, which has inherited some of the good taste genes from Galina, from which it came.

And yes, there are still other white varieties, many of them, which I think in general are best for wowing your family with a white sauce to pour over white pasta.