View Single Post
Old August 1, 2018   #23
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

I enjoyed your experiments. Just replying because of your mention of Spring Treat. We grew Spring Treat for some years and liked it, then tried Bodacious (and some of its near relatives like Ambrosia). SE (Sugar Enhanced) hybrid like Spring Treat, but well, after a few years Spring Treat dropped off the list in favor of Bodacious. YMMV, but you might want to try it. Here's a link from its producer with data about it.

http://www.crookham.com/our-products...n/bodacious-rm

What we like is flavor, tenderness, and somewhat longer than some "prime" period making it easier to get a harvest of very good corn when schedule is hectic.

Most of ours goes as fast as we can move it from garden to boiling water ten minutes to ice water ten minutes to collander drain, to flat tray in deep freeze, then gets individually wrapped in plastic wrap (like Saran Wrap, but any decent brand that will seal tightly), then in zip lock freezer bags and right back into deep freeze. Any desired number of ears can be removed and boiled for ten minutes and be very close to fresh from the garden corn on the cob -- and we've used some after multiple years and found it still excellent -- no "cobby" taste.

For initial processing we put four to six ears in a two gallon pot of boiling water, depends on size of ears, but that's with pretty good size ears.

I don't think Crookham sells it directly, at least not for garden purposes, but it's available from lots of sources. Those who say something else they sell is "just as good as Bodacious" are, in my view, likely to have long and growing noses. [g]

But really, region and climate might make a significant difference in performance, just don't know.

Something to think about, anyway.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote