View Single Post
Old March 31, 2016   #25
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Only problem after a couple of years they get ugly because of all the crossed out names of done that tomatoes.
I absolutely NEVER put names on my containers. I use numbers and each year I have a cross-reference sheet to tell me what variety goes with which number (incredibly easy and much less work than writing "supercalifragilistic" on each cup). Mind you, I do not grow 1 plant each of 60 different varieties. Normal is 20 varieties or less in quantities of 6-20 plants of each. #1-#16 are by far the most heavily used.
I get 2-3 seasons from a peat pot normally although the bottoms will get very soft. After germination, everything starts off in an el cheapo Dixie cup until they outgrow that space. I then use the spent Dixie cups as fire starter in my outdoor pit.
If I start anything other than Tomatoes or Peppers, they don't make it past the Dixie cup stage before being planted so I will use "C" for cabbage, "P" for peas, etc .... I don't have more than one variety of those except for beans which I haven't yet sown indoors.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote