View Single Post
Old November 1, 2017   #119
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
I wrote up an answer on Quora that describes exactly what I am doing and the scale issues I am developing. But I can go into more detail here of course. Let me post the Quora answer first then any details you want to discuss feel free.
What are the interesting gardening experiments that you have done? Was it a success?
I did read this, Scott. These are the same ideas you discussed some time ago about how to scale it up, and makes perfect sense to me.
I thought you had a chance to try out those ideas on the second piece of land, though. Seems you are still hung up on the funding, and I'm sorry to hear it.
Do you think it may be possible to scale up to an acre or even a half, without the big machines? I'm thinking market garden scale where you would at least be able to earn a living from it. The fact that mulch eliminates the weeding work, I would think it could be doable as a one-man operation.

BTW it was really interesting to read about your first experience with the soil there in Oklahoma, and your no-till heavy mulch approach makes even more sense in that context - it couldn't be more different from the soil situation here. But maybe similar enough to farmland right through the prairies. I am surprised that none of the agencies you approached were willing to help with a scaled up trial.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote