View Single Post
Old March 10, 2010   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
Carolyn,

I am a bit confused (...although my brain is still not fully operational after the flu I've been fighting in the last week...) - The Sunset firm features 'Champagne' as a red cherry tomato, and not white/yellow as Champagne Cherry is described by other growers. (?)

Unless both Coyote and Champagne Cherry are grown side by side and compared based on leaf, growth habit, DTM, etc, we should not be making any conclusions wrt renaming, me think...

Tania
Tania, It does look as though it might be confusing, but right away I realized that those weren't actual photos, the colors are off. And then if you go right on that page with CC on it, you'll see a list of the varieties they offer, and if you go down thru them and click, when you get to the Gourmet Medley one you'll see one cherry that stands out and it's yellow, and no others on their list are yellow. Actually the only one they say in writing is red is the beefsteak one.

Maria ( BLue Ribbon) has grown both CC and Coyote side by side and what she said is that they tasted slightly differently to her. Adam also grew both side by side last summer and he could tell no difference between them regarding any tomato trait, as well as taste.

I'm putting this out there as a stong possibility b'c no one, to date, has offered any clear documantation of history for this variety, and it only appeared a couple of years ago and while I think Terry might have obtained it in France, and Ventmarin also lists it, it makes sense if Sunset was also distributing them in Europe.

Something to think about.