View Single Post
Old December 29, 2014   #10
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi Kurt,

Thanks for the post - esp. useful as you're using the Wonder Soil, too. I think part of my problem, as Raybo said, is fact that the drain is on the side of my container so it stays wet in the bottom inch or two. I drilled a smaller hole on the container side about 1/2" from the bottom. No water came out, but maybe it'll help things dry out a little faster to that level.

I started using a moisture meter with 6" long probes and it's still moist that far down (6") - about halfway between "wet" and "dry" on the meter. I'll wait until I see some wilting in the plants plus a very low moisture reading on the meter before watering again. The Wonder Soil does seem to drain really well, so it's a bit hard to judge things from the first few surface inches.

Some of the lower leaves have "brownish spots/areas" that might be fungus and/or might be from getting water splashed on the leaves when I watered with some water that had a bit of azomite in it or when I was using the water recycled from my first drain collection. The new leaves look good (if a bit on the pale side) and things are growing well (have about a dozen baby cukes) so I'm hoping things will green up soon. I think I may add a small fan to the set up for better air circulation. The "cucumber habitat" is open at the top but has the mylar sheeting on all 4 sides.

Thanks for the info and tips!
Anne
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote