View Single Post
Old February 12, 2013   #101
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I think I will next purchase some Amelia seed which have to be bought in fairly large quantities to get them at a reasonable price. They are extremely vigorous plants that are determinate used by most of the commercial growers around here. They are so vigorous that they need some pruning even though they are determinate and they have a huge fruit set.

Since I'm having some success with the grafting it is only logical to step up to a very strong rootstock and see the results from that. If that works out fine this year then I may bite the bullet and buy some of the super rootstock seed to see if they are any better. I don't feel like experimenting with seed that costly before I get the grafting technique down pat. Right now I just want a rootstock that will withstand fusarium for a good bit longer than most heirlooms will. There aren't that many hybrids available or even rootstock seed that are resistant to all three races of fusarium and that is what I need. In my garden even the good hybrids with resistance to two races of fusarium only have a little better than even chance of lasting long enough to have really good production.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote