Thread: pea shoots
View Single Post
Old July 28, 2011   #6
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like you don't soak the peas before seeding.

I've been using info from a site called "sprout people". They just happened to be sellers at the same market I do, Madison. I found them when looking for info on wheatgrass as used for juicing. They recommend soaking to the point of nearly already sprouting. I don't do that much tho.

I do plant the cat grass as heavy as I did the wheatgrass so it can be used either way. I sell the 1801 for just $1. Same for the pea shoots.My guesstimate of peas seeds is about 1 lb of seeds for a flat. I use about 2.5 cups +- of wheat seed / flat.

The cat grass takes about 7 -10 days depending on the weather and the peas about 2 weeks or a bit more. By then the pot of peas should have over an ounce of the shoots or a bit more. I was selling them for $1 / ounce when I cut them.

For me the easiest and most cost effective is the radish sprouts. I use about 3 ounces of seed / flat and they are ready in less than a week.

I'm still very new at all the sprout stuff so I'm open to any and all suggestions as I learn what works for me here. Some of the other micros I've tried haven't sold well at all. But I think I missed the best market timing of early spring, before any field stuff is around. I think they will do well again this fall / winter when fresh green stuff is dead outside.

One thing I had to do is make a cage in my greenhouse to keep the flats of seeded stuff in. It's 2 shelf racks wrapped in chicken wire fencing. This was necessary because Racoons were coming in the greenhouse at nite and digging up the pots and ruining them.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote