Thread: Fermenting.
View Single Post
Old March 14, 2018   #764
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karrr_Luda View Post
Three days is my favorite readiness when it is warm enough in the kitchen, (my parents, friends that make their own kraut, and hubby's also), might leave up to five days if i don't find it ready, it continues to ferment in the fridge, a bit slower. I never leave it for 2-3 weeks, since i don't like it too sour. Have you tried 5 day old kraut? You should, you might even like it. I bought a jar of kraut at Trader Joe's once out of curiosity and could not eat that, had to throw it out. It was pure acid. I've been doing this for years, and figured out what works for me. I let kimchi ferment 10 days only because it was outside in the cold breezeway, inside it would be 3 days, 2 weeks for my lemons to cure, 3 days for half sour pickles, 10 days for beet kvass, 3-5 days for cabbage kraut. I do taste things and adjust time if needed.
Well then if you like it that is waht is most important by all means.
Germans that came from Germany I have met dont seems to think my two week old stuff isn't sour enough.

One thing for anyone else reading this is the stuff has to be fermented for at least two weeks in (my environment) for it to be safely water bath canned.
Or at least that is whet I think.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote