View Single Post
Old December 6, 2012   #83
Hotwired
Tomatovillian™

Default Hotwired's Sweet Pickles

I pickle everything with this brine, from cukes to green beans and beets. I found this hand-written recipe in one of my grandmother's cookbooks. I am a pickle addict and this is by far the best sweet pickle recipe I've tried.

Here's a detailed photo step-by-step in a PDF - http://www.hotwiredgardens.com/pdf/H...et_Pickles.pdf

Prepare the Following:

4 Quarts of Sliced Cucumbers Cut 1/16" Thick (16 Pickling Cukes)
6 Medium Onions Sliced 1/8" thick rings
1 each of Red & Green Peppers cut in 1/4" to 3/8" wide strips
3 Cloves of Garlic (3 Sections cut up)
2 Trays of Ice Cubes
1/3 Cup of Salt

In a Large Pan or on a Cafeteria Tray:

Layer half the Cukes, Onions, Peppers, and Garlic in the Pan
Sprinkle half the salt over the tray, and add 1 Tray of Ice Cubes.
Repeat with the other half on top of the first layer. Let stand for 3 hours. Refrigerating is optional.

Mix & bring to a boil the following:

3 Cups of Distilled White Vinegar
5 Cups of Sugar
1-1/2 tsp. of Tumeric
1-1/2 tsp. of Celery Seed
1-1/2 tsp. of Mustard Seed

Directions

Drain the tray of Vegetables and mix into the brine, and bring to a boil. Can the pickles using a hot water bath method. Pressure canning is not necessary for pickles. Sterilize the jars and lids in boiling water. Fill the jars with the pickle mixture, then add the brine till it is about 1/4" from the top rim. Wipe the rim with a clean damp cloth and place the lid on the jars. Place the jars into a hotwater bath (boiling water). Make sure the water covers the jars when the canner is fully loaded. Cover the canner, and bring to boil, and hold at a boil for 20 minutes. Remove the jars, and let cool. You will hear a pop when the jar seals. If you press in the center of the lid, it should not move.

Note: If you have extra liquid left over, you can can it and make a small batch of pickled beets later. Just cook your beets, skin and slice them, and place them in a canning jar. Cover with the liquid and can as above. They're incredible.

Happy Pickling.....
Hotwired is offline   Reply With Quote