View Single Post
Old October 31, 2011   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I cant think of a better thing to do on Christmas eve than to start tomato seeds
It all depends on where you live in austin as to when you plant out.
I live in Bastrop and when the frost hit West Austin I get escape by the skin of my teeth.

Suze lives about 14 miles north of me and she will get a little colder than I do.

Soil types in the Austin area are varied from dark soil mixed with limestone red clay road base soil, solid rock, sandy loam, a dark rich black soil in the central part of Austin in the Hyde park area and along the river.
The black soil is mistaken for clay many times but if you can break it up it grows crops really well.

As for tomatoes Feldon hit it right on but I will try to add one or two.

As he said we have a short growing season here so try to plant ones that fit this category.

Aurora is a winner here and will be one of the first to ripen.
Don't forget Break 'O' Day.
Red rocket did great.
Black Cherry.
Jubilee, an old standard orange tomato I grew up with.
Black Plumb and Black Pear are good.
When the heat kicks in hard and you just have to have a tomato you cant go wrong with the small cherries and grape tomatoes.

Wild cherry will put out in real high heat, I have had it set fruit in 100 degree weather.

Just remember if you have a plant that sets fruit them you are golden you just wont get any more fruit set after it gets hot.

Costoluto Genovese is a small ruffled red tomato that I like the flavor is not up to par with some but my friends go wild over it.

I try to set out 12 to 18 inch plants in late Feb or early March, it depends on the red bud blooms.
If there is a frost or freeze warning I stack hay up around and on top of the plants. (it works)

I hope this helped.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote