View Single Post
Old September 25, 2022   #28
Balr14
Tomatovillian™

I would replace the soil. I prefer to use Miracle Grow or Fox Farm Ocean Forest potting soil mixes. They are expensive, but they are always clean and evenly mixed and ALL plants do well, not just tomatoes. If the plants stay healthy, I will reuse this soil for 2 additional years, adding Milorganite to it.

I'd rather pay for good soil and have a good growing season with no worries. It seems every time I tried to use cheaper soil or mix my own from my dirt pile, I end up with lower yields or some form of disease.

I always add some calcium pellets to my containers to prevent BER. I also like to add earthworms, a few per container.

I'm sure there are many people in these forums who know far more than I do about soil mixes and preparation. But, it's hard to beat the higher priced mixes if you are a dummy like me.

The neighbors I have given the same advice to have all had much greater success than what they were used to doing before. Some go as far as buying new MiracleGrow soil every year for tomatoes.

Last edited by Balr14; September 25, 2022 at 08:35 PM.
Balr14 is offline   Reply With Quote