View Single Post
Old May 24, 2018   #19
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I'm still watching the single KBX plant which I am treating with vinegar (acetic acid), Epsom Salt (magnesium); and Miracle Grow (nutrients). It is doing very well having grown new leaves and small new stems.

I have a second plant in the same row of KBX plants which is exhibiting the same symptoms of root knot nemotodes as the first plant. It suddenly started wilting in the heat, leaves started turning yellow and entire branches died. Instead of pulling the plant and removing the infected roots, I decided to attempt to treat it in place by putting a sunscreen over it and soaking the roots with the same mixture that seems to have worked with the first plant. I also removed the dead branches and foliage. I don't really have any expectations of killing the nematodes long term, but simply making the environment around the plants uninviting and making the plants healthy enough to produce tomatoes. At some point, I want to add some sulfur either directly to the soil around the plants or add it to the mixture I am already using. My intent is to cause the nematodes to seek greener pastures by applying a noxious product to the soil a month or two after planting the seedlings. If it happens to kill them in the process without harming the plants, I will consider that a bonus.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote