View Single Post
Old April 16, 2019   #4
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

I have been growing red, black and white currants for years. I primarily make pies out of them. They are more tart than many berries but have a unique flavor which we love. Give them space as the roots tend to spread and the should not be planted too deeply. They last for years. The black ones are much more tart than the red and white and need more sugar when cooking them. The black make a great juice. If I make a pie with them I usually make it a custard pie since the custard cuts the strong flavor.
I see you are from Washington. I was trying to think of this wonderful place I contacted years ago when I was looking for good sources for currants. I suddenly remembered the name of the woman who ran it. It was Whitman Farms in Oregon and I was really impressed with their site and offerings. You might find it interesting as it appears to still be in operation (since 1980) and offers many varieties of currants which would probably do well for you since you are both in the Northwest. It seems to still be in the hands of Lucille Whitman, whom I contacted for help and info. In the end I bought my stock from a place in New York State just because our climates are similar but they went out of business. Do check out this site: whitmanfarms.com. Phone is 503-585-8728
Good Luck! Enjoy your new venture!

Last edited by Gardadore; April 16, 2019 at 12:03 PM. Reason: added info
Gardadore is offline   Reply With Quote