View Single Post
Old April 24, 2018   #14
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Tom and Karen, that means I really pulled them too early last year. Beginner’s error which I will avoid this year. These were the Red Creole drying a bit after pulling and before they were put on screens.

Worth, you’re right about the heat of summer doing a number on things!

Nattybo, the heat here is why we plant onions in the fall. I have previously tried planting in the spring but they just fried and although I love fried onions… not that way.

Salt, that’s a good set up. I used two big window screens that I bought for $1 each at a yard sale and set them on blocks on a table. I need to rethink that as the weight of the onions caused the screens to sag and I had to run bars under them to support them. That's garlic hanging up to cure in the background.

After reading all of your comments, I now know I need to let them dry in the garden a whole lot longer and also start eating them as they get ready. I also reduced the amount planted from 72' to 36' this year until I get a handle on this curing business. With no root cellar or basement (not a lot of basements in this part of Georgia!) and only a cool closet to store them, what was I thinking?
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote