Thread: Mr. Stripey
View Single Post
Old April 15, 2011   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry, I couldn't get back earlier but I've been watching TV tennis from Monte Carlo and I do have my priorities.

Camo has spoken partially to the issue but I'll go back to the beginning.

Wayne Hilton used to own TT, Shumways, Seymours Seeds, then took over Vermont Bean, etc. and then sold all of them to Jung's several years ago. it was Wayne who picked up this typical gold/red bicolor in GA, of which there are now close to 200 named varieties, not counting the one that a neigbor of my brother's in NC grows which my brother generously offered to me and I declined.

Hilton for many years had been a major customer of Seeds by Design in Ca who are seed wholesalers and also do subcontract growing. He gave them the seeds. At the time they knew little about anything heirloom and didn't know about the variety Tigerella that had been bred in England years ago which had an AKA of Mr. Stripey.

So they named it Mr Stripey. But it doesn''t have any stripes. Tigerella is a small red with distinct gold/orange stripes which has an agreesive taste I don't like at all and splits with the AM dew or if you look at it sidewise and is not a bicolor at all. The other two that came out of the same cross I do like and those are Tangella and Craigella.

I was going to link to the Google IMAGES pictures of this variety but any of you can do it as well as me and what you'll see are some that are definitely correct and some that aren't.

The reputation for Mr. Stripey has not been good as to plant vigor, yield and taste and I wouldn't even put it on a list of gold/red bicolors that I'd grow. But I will tell you that when most of them are great tasting one year that in my experience the same variety grown the next season can be bland and mushy; they are very much influenced by weather as are the fuzzy ones such as Nectarine, Peach Blow Sutton and the like.

And I can't tell you how many times I've posted about the difference between the two Mr,. Stripeys and there's still some catalogs that have to two confused.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn