View Single Post
Old September 1, 2007   #9
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

I have my doubts about Siberian origin of Galina's, Perestroika, Glastnost etc. You know for me it's really ridiculous to hear that somebody in 1980s or even before that times bred and grow e.g. small cherry tomatoes in the cold climate of Siberia. You really have to feel USSR era spirit to know it could happen here. 90% of all Soviet gardeners grew only red and globe tomatoes which were available frm official State shops or were given such seeds from local AES or Breeding Institutes. Very few yellow varieties (but again only with uniform medium globe shape!), no blacks or greenies or ivory white and other odd colored exclusives

And the typical case when foreign sources have named some Soviet/Russian varieties "Siberian" when somebody brought some seeds from this huge Siberian area (Irkutsk, Novosibirsk, Omsk etc.). That is only to laugh at because people grew mostly widely known varieties from the Central and South part of USSR there and these tomato varieties were bred by mostly Moscow and St. Peterburg's Breeding Institutes and AES. And a foreign gardener-enthuasist went to Irkutsk and bought these seeds from an eldermen. So another fairytale about Siberia went on

I can say for sure that most of currently available here in CIS Siberian tomato varieties (several hundred) were developed from the late 1980s till now (70-80% in 1995-2007). Our people just came closer to better clothes and food so they started to think about developing new varietes for their gardens...

Grushovka is the only Siberian variety from the list which I can tell this is absolutely right.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote