Thread: Expectations
View Single Post
Old August 25, 2015   #17
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
I have a few projects I am tinkering with, but this may just be my fav so far. This is an F3 of my Brandywine X Bloody Butcher cross, that Sherry Sheisal and I did last year, they are very early, the taste is excellent, and they are production machines of beautiful fruit that is market quality.
I grew out 10 f2's to make my selection, and lucky for me the earliest one had a slight beefsteak appearance, which I want, on average weighed from 3-6 oz, or so, and the taste was memorable.
I grew out 18 F3's, they are pretty consistent in shape and size, 12 went in the greenhouse, 6 went into the outside garden June 30th to see if I can get ripe fruit before frost. We have began tasting the fruit, we are seeing some variation there, it will be a week or so before we get through them all to find a favorite. The fruit size on these are also slightly larger than previous generations, and seems to be about 4-7oz average, with the first fruits being up to a pound. I also really like how the fruit on the trusses ripens close to the same time.
The plants in the picks were planted at the end of May, from the f2 that was started in January.
I am hoping to end up with a Brandywine quality OP line, that will produce very fast, yield well, look appealing, and tolerate cooler weather. That's not asking for too much. lol
Your cross is very much the same as Stanley Zubrowski in Canada did. he crossed Brandywine with 5 earlies, all red, I can only remember Glacier and Siberian and Stupice now, he sent me F1 seeds of all 5 crosses and all were red small ones,expected since small fruit size is dominant to large fruit size.

His goal was to introduce better taste into some earlies. Time for me to give you a couple of links rather thandoing more typing. From the Stupice cross camethis one:

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...irdrie_Classic

And now more on the same subject:

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=16696

Were all of your F1 fruits kind of mini beefsteaks and I ask b'c that's what I got.

Carolyn