View Single Post
Old July 3, 2019   #6
Notostraca
Tomatovillian™

I've resisted the temptation to eat more tomatoes, there may even be enough of them ripe at one time to make it into a salad or sandwich at this rate . I have a bad habit of scranning the fruit straight from the plant as soon as I see they are ripe, so it would be nice to actually use them in something this year. I'll try post some sliced tomato pics soon!

Tonight I did my usual routine of putting some calm, relaxing music on the Bluetooth speaker for both me and the plants (my plants favourite track), used an electric toothbrush to pollinate any and all flowers I see, gave them their weekly feed of Phostrogen (a high-potassium chemical salt feed - I also give them a little organic BioBizz Bio-Bloom every 1-2 days depending on how their colour looks) and gave them all a good spray of pure deionised (same as RO/distilled/rain) water to remove any dust or residual Epsom salt from the leaves and help them breathe. The only visible issue I have had with the Tiny Tims this year is a very slight magnesium deficiency showing, probably just because they are relatively large plants in such small pots with little soil/compost (mix), so I both foliar fed and root-drenched them with some Epsom salt last week.

The pics show my two Tiny Tim plants, the Sweet'n'Neat Yellow F1 in the relative shade behind them (germinated at the same time at the one pictured above I have at my work) and a full view of my cluttered living room windowsill, which is illuminated with a 105w CFL "daylight" photography bulb to give the plants a few extra hours of light at night (but not 24h light, which studies show would be counterproductive in the long run - plants need sleep too!).

Two of my five outdoor plants have been destroyed by the high winds here this week, but I'm totally used to this weather and knew it was a big risk putting them out without any shelter, so I'm not too upset about that. I have some plants in reserve to put out, so will get on that ASAP and post some pics. I'm a little disappointed I wont have any Roma tomatoes to eat this year though, usually they are tough enough to survive the elements here, however I did leave them more exposed than usual, so it's my fault rather than the plant's lol.

I've just learnt I'll be able to work from home from next month, so I'm hoping to have much more plant time =D. I forgot to water them before rushing to work today, and spent a considerable amount of time worrying about them drying out. They were just OK when I got home tonight, the extra time spent with my plants will certainly do both them and me good though.

OK, that's enough blethering for now, happy growing everyone!
Emilia
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190703_224005667 (Custom).jpg (261.2 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190703_224032228 (Custom).jpg (251.9 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190703_224144930 (Custom).jpg (167.5 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190703_224107059 (Custom).jpg (271.8 KB, 118 views)

Emilia

Last edited by Notostraca; July 3, 2019 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Words.
Notostraca is offline   Reply With Quote