View Single Post
Old September 21, 2016   #42
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Of all the tomatoes I have grown that have given my really large fruit I would say that Omar's Lebanese and Gildo Pietroboni were the most frequent at giving up large fruit. Neither is a taste champ in my book. Others that produced very large fruit were Brandywine Sudduth's, Red Barn, Couilles de Taureau, Virginia Sweet, and Donskoi.

I am not familiar with your climate but assume it is hot and humid which means you probably won't get many really large fruit because the heat will cause them to ripen early. Couilles de Taureau and Red Barn are the more consistent producers of large fruit in the heat down here with the added benefit of being really tasty tomatoes with great texture.

Like Carolyne I don't grow for size and so most of my really big tomatoes came from varieties that I like to ear or from ones I just tried for a year or two and didn't like the flavor. Good luck with your adventure in growing really big tomatoes. They are fun to show off but I really don't know what practical value they have.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote