View Single Post
Old May 12, 2016   #70
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine Anne View Post
I meant to add a list of veggies that will take shade last week as someone asked..sorry here it is/

Brassicas, can do well in partial shade
Lettuce and spinach like it.Kale shows no difference in full sun or partial
Most leafy greens are Ok pak choi does well in it

Root veggies are also ok in partial shade.Some of the above take longer to mature though.

So veggies grown for leafy greens are OK, veggies grown for their roots are ok, but veggies grown for their fruit, tomatoes, peppers,cucunmbers ,melon etc will not thrive well

Peas and beans can be more difficult but grow the darfs rather than polse, crops will be later though/
So Kale wont bolt in the heat? I have a bunch in 3 inch pots and was going to plant them on the shaded part of the garden, maybe 3-4 hours sun tops. Which would you recommend? It has been around 85-90 degrees here most days for awhile now and I assumed it would bolt and get more bitter in full sun. I am new to cole/brassica growing. Our spring is so short sometimes so I never really bothered, but now I really want my own salad ingredients. I plan on using my GH as a coldframe this winter and try to perfect growing carrots and lettuce.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote