View Single Post
Old August 8, 2013   #1
emcd124
Tomatovillian™

Default Seek No Further Love Apple (SNFLA)

There is one thread from last winter in which this variety is one among five discussed, but it seems to be the only source of information on it, so I thought I might open up a dedicated line on the topic and post some photos of my plant this year.

Here is the original thread where Tormato lists his grow notes and promises to follow up with variety history (though I cant find it...anyone else have a link?)

I was very curious about snfla when I received seed from a swap and could find little beyond the above post where the info gets lost among discussion of five varieties, so wanted to start a dedicated post to hear from others who have grown.

So I thought I'd add my early grow notes. In my Z5 garden SNFLA mostly confirms what tormato posted. It was easy and quick to germinate, fairly robust as a seedling but not immediately the most impressive at the seedling stage. It grew quickly and now it is the tallest in my garden by almost a foot, already 8' in a slow year when most indet are still 6' or less. It set 3-4 toms per truss. It was the second plant to begin setting fruit in my garden and has set steadily through hot weather and cool wet weather. No signs of disease thus far. Was e en ignored by aphids when it's neighboring toms were invaded. It does not sucker aggressively and makes for a plant neither too bushy nor too sparse.

My toms are still green but what has surprised me most is their size. They seem HUGE. I won't know until it is ripe and harvested but the largest fruit right now looks to have a diameter over 4" at its widest point and there are two others nearly that size on the same truss.

I will report back on taste but so far I'm very pleased w it's growth performance.

The largest fruits more than fill the palm. There are four or more of this size already plus a dozen smaller fruits.

There is a fourth tomato on this truss hidden behind the others, it is as large as the other large ones shown here.

The SNFLA is the plant on the left, already reaching towards the top of the 8 foot cage.
emcd124 is offline   Reply With Quote