View Single Post
Old February 24, 2013   #99
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I potted up the tomato seedlings for this project today into cell trays (48 cells per) and will be doing the first round of cold tolerance testing within the next 2 weeks. I know from experience that tomato plants do NOT handle double shocks very well. They have to recover from losing most of their roots first then hit them with cold temps.

DarJones

This is one of the trays of S. Lycopersicum seedlings that I potted up today. There is another partial tray that I will finish filling up with prospective cold tolerant lines. If you note the slight blur in the upper right corner, that is from moisture condensing on my camera lens. The temperature in the greenhouse was 41 degrees. I will expose these plants to progressively colder temps as they become acclimated.

And this is a photo of the two trays of S. Lycopersicoides, S. Habrochaites, and S. Pennelli lines that I will be evaluating. These will be potted up Monday. If you look closely at the left tray near the center of the image, there are several cells that look empty. Those are the cells where I planted pure S. Lycopersicoides lines for evaluation. They germinated over the last 3 days which is a bit over a month since the seed were planted.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote