View Single Post
Old November 4, 2016   #14
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
Oh back off. That was shorthand for "variety, a subset of species".

So, do you believe that the poster is asking which variety has the highest incidence of mutation?

If it's not that, then what does the question mean?
Here was the original question

(Would crossing wild species whit each other increase genetic diversity and would there be benefits? Has there been such attempts?)

As the thread got longer other info as to genetic diversity was introduced in addition to crossing with wild species, not specified, and I for one,have no problems with that at all.

So no,the original question was not asking about the incidence of mutation,as I just said, the thread got off track,and why not since using germplasm from wild species is not the only way to be associated with genetic diversity.

My major growing field formanyyears was 250 ft long and 90 ft wide,rows 5 ft apart, and I'd go down the rows recording first blossom,first fruitset,indet or det,leaf form,first color on fruits,first ripe fruits, for each variety in my notebook.

But I never looked at the so called small details of a given variety.

One day I was at a website where Keith Mueller, I knew him from elsewhere, and this subject of diversity came up and he started discussing different internode lenghths, subtle changes in leaf form,time of ripening and more. I looked and he was right.

And well I remember what he said to me...something like those changes are there to see for those who have eyes.

Fusion here knows Keith well,so do I, he knows LOTS about tomato genetics and has also bred some very popular varieties.He got his MS degree with Dr.Randy Gardner at NCSU,one of the best breeders ever.

Here is Keith's website: I didn't take the time to see if he has any new updates.

http://www.kdcomm.net/~tomato/

You can spend hours there,as many of us have,checking out all that he shares with others.

Carolyn