Thread: Sugar Drop
View Single Post
Old June 16, 2015   #21
UFXEFU
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I agree with Marsha.

If it were just one branch that had the red ones that would clearly indicate a somatic mutation, but you say you have both red and orange and red ones randomly all over a plant and you see the same with other plants as well.

In terms of genetic instability I'm not sure I even understand the random distribution of red and orange ones on a plant as being related to genetic instability but perhaps someone else here has some ideas about that.
Carolyn,
Somatic mutations are very rare so it would not be reasonable to consider that the random red ones were due to individual somatic mutations, at least IMO/

Carolyn
Carolyn, I am not sure what I have, but the red fruit does not turn yellow as they get riper. I picked the fruit not really paying much attention as to where it was located or which plant it came from. While spread out on my table, I noticed the red fruit mixed in with the yellow. They taste the same to me. I am going to save seed and plant red seed plants in a different spot from the yellow. Then see what I get.
UFXEFU is offline   Reply With Quote