View Single Post
Old February 2, 2013   #21
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
I still believe the Russian variety should go under its original name, Amurskiy Tigr.
Having a translation is great, but it should not become a 'new' name for a tomato that originated in another country.

I know Russian language is probably too intimidating, this is why many folks are trying so hard to get the names translated... I see much less of translations of French, Italian, or Chinese names. Why Russian are 'singled out'? LOL

But I believe that honoring the original names is the right thing to do, regardless of the country of origin.

The original names are part of tomato variety heritage, and they need to be preserved, along with their histories.

I am guessing once Mark's Siberian Tiger is stabilized, it will likely get a different name, but this is up to Mark to decide, as this is his 'baby' . This is a gorgeous tomato, and I hope it'll get stable sometime in the future!
Tania, I thought I answered you above but perhaps you're suggesting that Steve should change the name of Siberian Tiger at his site to Amurskiy Tigr? I don't know how it was received by him originally, do you?

I will put Pervaya Lyubov ( First Love) when I SSE list it or when I listed it in my seed offer but when I flip through the pages of SSE YEarbooks I could see the same variety listed , separately as both First Love and also Pervaya Lyubov. No it hasn't happened with that one, but.....

It happens with many other varieties as well.

I don't know what the solution is really, except perhaps you might sometime ask Mischka if I'ts OK to make a sticky about it here, but then it's only those here at Tville who would know of your concern, which you've expressed here before, several times in just a general sense, not using a specific variety as you did above.

And many folks don't know what to do with a variety that comes to them in a foreign language.

You can't do it at all of the message sites or vendor sites that you know of and you can't do it as a request to Joanne at SSE which would increase her workload immensely trying to contact listers for more information, but there is ONE place where I think you should do it, and

.....that's at your own website which has wide distribution on the internet now .

Carolyn

Last edited by carolyn137; February 2, 2013 at 03:41 PM. Reason: the is spelled the, not them
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote