View Single Post
Old August 16, 2012   #7
aclum
Tomatovillian™

I've got some disablility issues which make it difficut for me to lift our fairly heavy 23 qt aluminum presto pressure canner. My solution was to get a $49 (free shipping) 1300 watt Waring Professional portable burner from Amazon and use it on a wheeled metro-type wire cart (normally used for my seedlings in the spring). I adjusted the top shelf so the top of the canner on the burner comes to about counter height. I can wheel the canner over to the sink to fill and then roll it wherever and continue with the canning process. The top's low enough so that it's really easy for me to load and unload the jars. The whole system works out great for my needs. But you could just as well use the same burner with a canner on a countertop or table. (I also have an induction portable burner on a cart that I use with my stainless steel pressure cookers - but they aren't designed for canning. If I had a stainless pressure canner, I just would have used the induction burner and not bothered getting the electric burner - but we already had the canner).

Anne
Merced, CA
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote