View Single Post
Old January 11, 2009   #32
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Not to much red tape in Wyoming. I fall under a special provision for local growers and what I sell is not "processed" as they determine the word. I sell mine at 1/2 lb dry, in a quart vacuum seal bag vacuumed as far down as it will go for 10.00 and then by the pound(s)(18.50) in a gallon bag. I do sell quart jars of tomatoes in Olive Oil. I think it is probably a 1/4 pound dried tomatoes in there and I get 21.00 per quart (Costco for Olive oil or you will have to mortgage your home!) I get more for specialty tomatoes like Borgo Cellano and now, some of the black varieties.
I did not make much the first year but as word of mouth spread, I can barely keep up with demand and had to decide if I wanted to get bigger (And I decided I don't!) We live 60 miles from Billings Montana and I had restaurants there calling me like crazy but that is just too much.

On another post on this forum I described my method which is basically, I slice them, soak them in the cheapest red wine I can buy for 24 hours, drain, sprinkle with equal parts basil and Oregano and then Sea Salt. I have a large solar dehydrator which I got the plans for online but I also bought a new, 15 shelf stainless steel commercial dehydrator and another older one I bought At an Estate sale. Truthfully, I am so busy, I mainly use the electric ones because other than the length of drying time, there is no discernible difference in quality and/or taste between sun dried and electric dried. In fact, the Industry now describes all dried tomatoes as sun dried which is why you don't see bags of "dehydrated" tomatoes for sale.

I have been really surprised at how much demand there is and I really live in the middle of nowhere compared to most folks on this forum. It is always about finding a niche and filling it!

I think this would be a great business for anyone.
brokenbar is offline   Reply With Quote