Thread: Main Dishes
View Single Post
Old February 26, 2010   #71
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Default Melanzane(mey laan ZAN ehh) Parmigiana Siciliano ( Eggplant Parmigiana Sicilian Styl

Melanzane (Eggplant) alla Parmigiana Siciliano

Eggplant Parmigiana is Sicilian in origin and is found in various guises all over the island. I am a vegertarian and this is one of my absolute favorite meals!
  • 4 large eggplant
  • oil for frying
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 15 roma or other sauce tomatos, peeled, seeds removed, chopped into quarters.
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • a handful of basil leaves, roughly torn
  • 4 oz Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Slice the eggplant into rounds, place in a colander, sprinkle with salt and leave to disgorge for about an hour. In a medium skillet, sweat the onion and the garlic in a little oil and add the tomatoes, sugar, salt, and pepper. Cook over a medium heat until the sauce is thick and glossy. Heat 1/2-inch of oil in a large skillet and when it is very hot, add the slices of eggplant and fry until golden brown, then drain on paper towels. Cover the bottom of a gratin dish with a little of the tomato sauce. Place the slices of eggplant in the gratin dish, cover with tomato sauce, basil leaves, and grated Parmesan. Repeat this process until all the eggplant is used up, finishing with a generous layer of Parmesan. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes. Serve at room temperature