View Single Post
Old March 31, 2019   #21
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Bower, thanks, I'll trim these onions the next day or two and have my first treat of the season. We had a high of 66 F yesterday (19C to our Canadian friends), 61 F today (16C) but rainy. I spent a bit of time yesterday cleaning the beds, and wanted to do the same today -alas, we have rain. Monday night is expected to be very cold, 25F/-4C, otherwise extended forecast is all above freezing. So will definitely start taking my babies out.

Worth, thank you. WRT installing the HW floor, I understand about wood movement across the grain. Here are my thoughts to that, a bit long.

1) As you said, that particular flooring is pre-finished and very stable. It's left to acclimate in the space before installation, and I nail it down solid -it's not going anywhere. I've done similar jobs many times with no issues, this one is a small room -very little movement.

2) Although in theory leaving a small gap under the base could be useful to hide any movement, I dont understand how the outside boards can move anywhere close to the recommended 1/4". They're supposed to be tightly secured to the sub-floor, they don't float.

I've seen this type of construction (HW planks butting against base) in many older houses that were still in great condition. I once visited in Northern NH a huge mansion/estate whose well-off owner was restoring into a fancy resort. He was sparing no expense, with some of the fanciest woodwork I've seen anywhere. I visited with the master craftsman who was showing me his work. In one of the rooms he had redone, I noticed he had the base down before the new floor was put in. When asked, he insisted that as far as he knew, that's how it's always been done. And this was for the sand/finish in place type.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote