View Single Post
Old April 19, 2010   #2
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I have red potatoes growing in 15g pots and fingerlings in 5g pots. I've grown tomatoes in 5g pots at the edges of the garden where they didn't get any extra attention or water, so they produced some tomatoes but not as many as in-ground tomatoes.

I've grown some hot peppers in 1g pots, but am still researching which of my pepper varieties this year can go in pots. The small eggplants will go in containers this year.

Herbs!

I grow all my peppermints and spearmints in containers, mostly 1 gal. or less. I usually divide them every year, and move them around the garden (with saucers to prevent them from taking root in the garden). I'm thinking of dividing my lemon balm and moving it to a big container, because it's slowly spreading out.

Whenever I cut back my herbs, I propagate some of the cuttings. I keep the cuttings in small pots until I either find a space for them or (mostly) give them away. Oregano, thyme, sage are easy to propagate and do ok in small pots for a while. I've even had a small lavender in a 1/2 gal. pot for a couple years.

I've had chives in a 2-3 gal. pot for years -- very pretty when they're in flower, and they grow in a nice clump.

Comfrey will survive in a pot, even in a small pot, but it won't really take off and set lots of flowering spikes until it's in the ground.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote