View Single Post
Old June 1, 2016   #135
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
I've got some small seedlings in the mail with some fungal leaf spot issues. I've pruning aggressively and using the dilute bleach spray. It has been working very well, sometimes only parts of leaves shrivel up that had the issues. The new growth is looking healthy and there has been no harm to healthy tissue. Bill, do you start and continue spraying from when your plants get set out? I've only treated the seedlings that have the issues, but ultimately fungal leaf issues always pop up in my garden. I would assume a bleach/water solution will hold up out of the sun until it is used or does it lose effectiveness after sitting for a bit? (I'm thinking I'll just fill my gallon sprayer up and use it until it is gone, but I wouldn't go through a gallon when the plants are small.)
I use the bleach spray at different times according to need. When plants are small and or disease issues are minimal I will stick to Daconil or copper. When the first signs of disease appear then I will use the bleach spray and continue as necessary. I still apply the fungicides for prevention for instance: I sprayed everything in my garden with the bleach solution yesterday evening just before dark and late this afternoon I sprayed my plants with Daconil. During times of frequent rain when fungicides are pretty much useless I will go out every few days and spray with the diluted bleach to kill what I can. During these rainy spells if you are fighting something like gray mold it can become necessary to spray almost daily to keep it from spreading too much. And yes I do use it on small seedlings if necessary but make sure not to use it at max strength.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote