View Single Post
Old May 4, 2019   #5
xellos99
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
I would agree with Bower. First grow out for a working bunch of seeds. Make sure to keep some of the original so a single event will not leave you without any more seeds. I also agree that you should save seeds separately from each plant. Bag blooms or shake the blooms to make sure they are self pollinated.

Now, I also agree that what you want to do is selection for best traits, and those will be for your area because environment does make a difference. Remember, you are trying to select for a plant that loves it where you grow your garden.

My last thought is what is the name of the variety you will be working with?? Someone near you might have already done some work on it. Or maybe someone in a similar environment has done some selections to help the plant do better. If it's a family heirloom, you may want to form a team and work together.

Lastly, don't be shy about asking questions. There's lots of experience and lots of folks who would love to help.

Good luck on your adventure. Keep us informed now that you have our attention.
Gardeners Delight using glasshouse.

I know, not very original but they seem more cold tolerant than many other varieties. It is dipping to 37 F at night here now and all my Sungolds have turned a purple hue and look like they are hating it.
The GD are bright green still and look completely unaffected by the cold snap.

I do know other local growers but they have their own favourite varieties that they grow year after year and they believe in those and im not sure they would want to do a project.
xellos99 is offline   Reply With Quote